Consistent with any other facets of public life, it is prudent to be alert of the anti-social activities in this exploding public domain. The higher enrollment and traffic (reported by the networking sites) may account to the rise in security threats as well.
Here is a summary of Sophos report - http://www.sophos.com/sophos/docs/eng/papers/sophos-security-threat-report-jan-2010-wpna.pdf
- 57% of users report they have been spammed via social networking sites, a rise of 70.6% from last year
- 36% reveal they have been sent malware via social networking sites, a rise of 69.8% from last year
- 72% of firms surveyed are worried that employee usage of social networking sites places their firms at risk
- Survey respondents identified Facebook as the social networking site posing the greatest security risks
- 49% of companies survey allow their employees unrestricted access to Facebook, up from 36% a year ago